Ways to Design your Living room with Navy Blue
From the study of colour psychology and how blue appeals to people, blue is viewed as a non-threatening colour that can seem conservative and traditional.
It kind of bring the feeling of calmness or serenity. It is often described as peaceful, tranquil, secure, and orderly.
But amidst these amazing feelings, Blue can also create feelings of sadness or aloofness. blue tends to lower the pulse rate and body temperature.
Consider how blue is used in language: you look blue, blue moon, blue Monday, blue blood, the blues, etc.
Blue is a compound name, but it has shades and tints in it. Navy blue is a more solid and bold colour but not as scary as black can be. And because it’s dark, it absorbs the light thereby making your space look smaller, but when your walls are white or a lighter shade, light bounces off or reflects and gives an illusion of more space. Follow along to know how best to use navy blue.
True navy blue colour can be so dark that it could pass for black; that’s why we can almost say its a neutral colour because it works perfectly with virtually any colour.
Below is a list of colours that perfectly make the navy blue pop.
- Navy blue and white
If I have to select, navy blue and white can never go wrong .the combination has a calming and welcoming feel, and there are a lot of ways to include that in the same space, we’d see that in a bit.2. Navy blue and gold
- A touch of gold in your living room makes your space look expensive instantly. It is a timeless luxury combination, but you must find the right way to fix both effortlessly. Also, note that designing with too much gold in space may make it look mediocre, so start small and keep it simple.
- The thought of this just excites me, and it seems to be catching on a lot of people. In the last week, three people requested a custom made navy blue and mustard/yellow sofa, respectively. This is one colour combo you should try.
- As I mentioned earlier, these were my best colours when I was much younger, pink is said to be a girly colour, but there are more mature shades that a man would also be comfortable with. As we always advise, the design should be tailored to suit each need, be sure what works for you and other users of the space.
- This can be a very tricky combination; to stick to the navy blue design, a lighter shade of brown should be used. Checkout different shades of brown, select the one that appeals to you, and maybe mix different shades for variety.
Ways to include navy blue into your living room
- Paint the walls navy blue or an accent wall
As said earlier, blue is a solid colour and absorbs light so be mindful when painting your entire wall blue but on the other hand its safer to design an accent navy blue wall, that way you can create a balance.
- Design a navy blue sofa/ furniture
Imagine a navy blue tufted sofa and how the colour pops in the mix of other colours, and this is an excellent way to use navy blue.
- Use a navy blue rug
Navy area rugs are becoming so popular. They go so well with any kind of flooring and walls and are available in different beautiful shaggy and fur designs and patterned mix.
- Blue accessories /painting and decor
Paintings and wall decors tend to work better on lighter walls, so if you are painting your walls navy blue, you may want to use some gold accessory instead. Your accessory can be a wall clock, a decorative art piece or some personal item like a portrait, etc.
- Get An accent chair or pouffe.
An accent chair is any piece of furniture that creates visual interest and curiosity either in the colour, shape, size or design. A navy blue accent chair will pop in a space mixed with any of the colours listed above.
- Create a monochromatic design with navy blue
It is said that when you are not sure of what colours to use in your new space, it is safe to go monochrome. A monochromatic colour scheme is simply using different shades and tint of a particular colour in the same area. To create this, you need to combine multiple shades of blue to make it work and create a relaxing atmosphere with harmony.
I’m sure you are going to have fun designing your space with navy blue but note that your navy blue selection must not be plain but if you choose to, then go ahead. It’s best to spice it up with unique patterns, florals and different textures.
I love feedback, if this has helped or will help your selection, please drop a comment and if you think some other tips will be helpful id be glad to read from you.